Recently we have noticed a trend of homeowners downsizing their custom homes. What once was a 5,000 square foot manor has now become a 2,000 square foot cozy family home, That doesn't mean you need to skip the features that are most important. Listed below are 5 top features custom home builders are still requesting.
1. Large Kitchens with a center island. As we all know, the kitchen is considered the heart of the home. Homeowners want the space to gather friends and family and what better place than in a large kitchen with the perfect island that provides ample space for entertaining.
2. Home Office/Study. We find more and more homeowners opting to use what is normally referred to use the "formal dining area" as a home office or study instead. It's a great place for children to do their homework or mom and dad to surf the net.
3. Master suite on the main floor. When homeowners decide to build, they are building for their future. They want to be in this home for years to come. Once the children move out there is really no reason for the master upstairs so they tend to be more inclined towards the master on the main floor. Main floor master suites are also perfect for empty nesters and older couples. With the master suite on the main floor requested more rapidly you will also see the need for the 1st floor laundry room.
4. Stone and Brick exteriors. Remember the days of Stucco and Vinyl?? Those days are definitely behind us. Homeowners are opting for stone, brick, and even some wood features on the exterior of their homes. These materials give a more cozy feel to the home.
5. Outdoor Living Spaces This trend has become increasingly popular. What better way to relax than enjoying time in your screened in living area or covered porch. Include the outdoor cooking area and it's practically an entirely different home within your existing one.