With the winter months upon us, it is important to keep safe while heating our homes. Furnaces, space heaters, wood heaters and stoves are the primary cause of house fire related deaths. With this in mind, the following tips can help keep us safe during the cold winter months.
Do not use you stove or oven to heat your home.
Keep all objects 3 feet or more from all heat sources. Combustible sources should be kept in rooms away from any sources of heat.
Furnaces and heaters should be cleaned and inspected annually
Never leave a portable heater unattended, turn them off when away from home or going to bed.
Keep space heaters away from water sources, bath tubs, sinks, etc.
Do not use an extension cord with any electric heater, this may cause the cord to overheat and potentially start a fire.
Refill kerosene heaters outdoors and only when they are cool.
Pay close attention to the heaters manufacturers requirements for proper use, placement and venting.
Open fires such as fireplaces should be equipped with a firescreen to prevent sparks from flying into a room and onto flooring and/or furnishings
Discard ashes away from the house in metal containers.
Practicing these safety tips and others with common sense will provide you and your home with safe heat.